During our trip to London, we had the most amazing beverage at an Indian restaurant, Dishoom: a chocolate chai. All the best parts of a hot chocolate and a chai tea combined into a single drink. After that meal, we were in search of how to replicate the drink at home, and stopped by Borough Market where we got some chai spice at a spice vendor called Spice Mountain. We don’t believe we have perfected the recipe quite yet, but here’s as close as we have gotten to this heavenly drink.
Ready In: 2 minutes
- 1/4 tsp chai spice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp Dutch process cocoa
- 8 oz extra creamy oat milk
- Bowl for mixing
- Mix together the chai spice, sugar, and Dutch process cocoa in a small container.
- Microwave the oat milk in a microwave-safe mug until very hot, about 2 minutes on high.
- Add chai mixture and enjoy warm with an optional topping of whipped cream.
This can also be made in bulk and kept for whenever the mood strikes. We like to make enough mix for 4 servings:
- 1 tsp chai spice
- 16 tsp (1/4 cup + 4 tsp) Dutch process cocoa
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) sugar
When you’d like to enjoy a cup, just combine 2 tbsp of the mix with 8oz hot oat milk. Optionally add a splash of vanilla extract. Mix and enjoy.