What we ordered:
There are a few go-tos that we have at Red Hen, though they frequently have specials that we will get. Among our typical order are the following:
- Pain au Chocolat – your typical crispy, crumbly, fall-apart, flaky croissant with a dark chocolate center.
- Kouign Amann (any variety) – said to be the fattiest pastry ever, this is an amazingly rich, buttery pastry that pairs well with chocolate and raspberry, but is just as good plain. A must-try!
- Bacon Cheddar Scone – when I think scone, I think dry, flavorless, wash-it-down with something… Not this scone. The bacon and cheddar both come through and don’t outshine each other in this moist scone, which is best eaten by itself – no washing it down with something needed!
- Maple Sticky Bun – everything you want in a sticky bun and more. These doughy, sticky, sweet buns are the sweetest thing on the menu and go a long way to satisfy that morning sweet-tooth.
- Lattes and hot chocolates – their maple flavored drinks are the perfect balance of sweetness and real maple flavor. Their hot chocolates are not overly sweet and sometimes they have creative flavors like coconut almond or peppermint, which are great additions to an already great hot chocolate.
If you’re looking for some authentic French pastries, Red Hen is your place. If you’re looking for something the kids will love, this may not offer sweet enough items to satisfy them. These pastries are rich, well-crafted, and meant to be savored with each bite – not wolfed down. You’ll come to appreciate the smallest of details like the crunchy caramelized sugar on the bottom of a Kouign Amann or the saltiness of cheddar and bacon in a scone. Red Hen’s pastries make you stop and realize all of the small things that make their pastries amazing, things you have probably never thought of before. Red Hen was quick to evolve to COVID with an outdoor area for pick up of online orders – though you can order at the window as well. They are timely with orders and always ensure your entire order is complete before handing it over (because they must know that there’s nothing worse than leaving only to realize you never got that drink you ordered). In short, Red Hen is a must-stop if you’re looking for high quality, delicious, though not cheap, pastries.