Chili is one of the quickest, easiest dishes to put together, and it is not only hearty and filling, but can also be made vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. It’s a great winter dish, but can also be made in the summer just as well. It’s a good thing to know how to make as it can be put together in a pinch with things you most likely have on hand (check out what we recommend to keep on hand here).
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
- 3 lbs 80/20 ground beef or turkey (optional)
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 4 adobo chilies (optional but encouraged)
- Garlic powder
- Sour cream
- Large skillet
- Slow cooker
- If using beef or turkey, brown it in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add browned meat to slow cooker and drain off any extra liquid from the pan.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and pepper until crisp-tender. Add to slow cooker.
- Add chili beans (undrained), black beans (drained and rinsed), corn (drained and rinsed), pasta sauce, and chilies to slow cooker.
- Stir in garlic powder, coriander, cumin, and salt, to taste.
- Cook on low until warmed through, at least 1 hour.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, and scallions. Serve with corn bread and hot honey.