Looking for an impressive but easy weekend breakfast? This quick sweet roll recipe takes the amazing dough of a cinnamon roll and stuffs it with an orange cream cheese filling that is both fresh and rich. These rolls don’t last long!
These rolls can even be made the night before, just stop at step 6 with the rolls in the pan and covered, refrigerate, and allow the 30 minute rise in the morning before baking.
Makes: 12 rolls
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 8oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Stand mixer with bowl and dough hook
- Clean worksurface
- Rolling pin
- 2 mixing bowls
- 9×13 baking dish
- Sharp knife
- Plastic wrap
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add milk, sugar, egg, butter, salt, and 2 1/2 cups of flour. Mix until combined, adding the remaining cup of flour to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth, at least 5 minutes. Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap, allowing to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Once the dough has doubled, punch it down and turn it back out onto a floured surface and roll into a large rectangle, about 18″x6″. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a border of a 1/2″.
- Roll the dough up jelly-roll style so the final log is 18″ long. Make sure the seam is adhered to the roll so none of the insides sneak out. Using a sharp, clean knife, cut the log into 12 even pieces by first cutting the log in half, then each half in half, then each of those into thirds. Wipe off the knife in between each slice to keep the slices neat.
- Place each roll into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled again, about another 30 minutes.
- REMOVE PLASTIC WRAP before baking rolls in a 350F oven for 30 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl with a pour spout and glaze the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven. Let rest until cool enough to eat, refrigerate leftovers.